Mufaddal Saifuddin during a visit to Udaipur as state guest
20 August 1946 |
|Occupation||Claimant  of 53rd Dā'ī al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohra|
|Spouse(s)||Jawharat-u-Sharaf Bai Saheba daughter of Late Syedi Yusuf Najmuddin|
|Children||Three sons: Jafar us Sadiq Bhai Saheb, Taha Bhai Saheb, Husain Bhai Saheb and two daughters|
|Parents||Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin(52nd Dā'ī al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohra) and Amatullah Aaisaheba|
Mufaddal Saifuddin (Arabic: مفضل سيف الدين; Abu Jafar-us-Sadiq Mufaddal Saifuddin) is a claimant to the title of 53rd Dā'ī al-Mutlaq of the Dawoodi Bohra. There are various media reports where Mufaddal Saifuddin has been referred as 53rd Dā'ī and titled as Syedna. The majority of the Dawoodi Bohra swear allegiance to Mufaddal Saifuddin, although there is some support for another claimant. The Dawoodi Bohra are a sub group within the Mustaali, Ismaili Shia branch of Islam. Mufaddal Saifuddin is also one of the four Omara (Rectors) of Al Jamea tus Saifiyah.
Mufaddal Saifuddin was born on 20 August 1946, on the night of Laylat al-Qadr in Surat, Gujarat, and was given the name Aaliqadr Mufaddal (Arabic:عالي قدر مفضل) by his grandfather Syedna Taher Saifuddin. As a child he began the recitation of the Quran in Saifee Villa, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
On the milaad (birthday anniversary) of Taher Saifuddin on 27 Zilqad al-Haraam 1385 AH (18 March 1966 CE), Mufaddal received the laqab of Saifuddin, and the religious honorific title of Seqato Daawate Taiyebiyah.[clarification needed]
Mufaddal Saifuddin was made Amirul Hajj in 1390 AH (1970 CE). After hajj, he travelled to Karbala, Shaam, Misr and Yemen. During his trip to Yemen, he laid the foundations for the construction of Syedna Hatim's rauza. After that journey Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin bestoved upon him the religious honorific title Aqeeq-ul-Yemen in 1391 AH/1971 AD.
On 28 Rabi' al-thani 1435 AH (28 February 2014 CE), the Indian foreign minister Salman Khurshid accompanied Mufaddal to Mumbai airport to see him off for his first visit abroad after the demise of the late Syedna. Khurshid presented Mufaddal with a letter of good wishes from Sonia Gandhi, the president of Indian Congress, before Mufaddal departed to Iraq. In Pakistan, he received state protocol and was welcomed at Karachi airport by Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah.
After Burhanuddin suffered a stroke in June 2011 in London, Mufaddal Saifuddin was designated as his successor. Although the Dawoodi Bohra community was reported to have welcomed their leader's choice of successor, a group calling themselves Qutbi Bohras formed in 2013 in support of Burhanuddin's half-brother Khuzaima Qutbuddin, who was a Mazoon, the Dā'ī al-Mutlaq's deputy.
After the Syedna's death in Janunary 2014, Mufaddal took up the office, Qutbuddin, claiming to have been appointed heir 50 years earlier in secrecy, challenged Mufaddal's right to be Dā'ī in court.
The court was shown several pronouncements of Mufaddal as successor before 2011, including one in 1969.[not in citation given] The pronouncement in 1969 was backed up by a dairy entry with witnessed and signed by the late Syedna.[unreliable source?]
- Rizwan Mawani (30 January 2014). "The Intricacies of Succession: Two Claimant Emerge for Dawoodi Bohra Leadership". Huffington Post. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Know more about Dawoodi Bohra chief Mufaddal Saifuddin". India TV. 19 March 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Thousands show solidarity to new Dawoodi Bohra leader Syedna Mufaddal Saifuddin". IndiaToday. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Union Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid". Afternoon Dispatch and Courier. 28 February 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Syedna Aali Qadr Mufaddal Saifuddin". Free Press Journal. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Bohras make anti-Syedna faction’s ex-communication official, stick by Mufaddal Saifuddin". DNA. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Breakaway Dawoodi Bohra faction alleges harassment". Times of India. 5 Feb 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Gulshan-e-Ma'alumaat Birth Date Article[full citation needed]
- "Profile of Syedna Mufaddal Saifuddin". GulfNews.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Hasan, Shazia (28 February 2014). "Syedna Saifuddin receives warm welcome on brief visit". DAWN.com. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- 'Mufaddal Saifuddin as designate-successor', http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-claimant-to-syedna-seat-declares-official-challenge-1968682
- http://gulfnews.com/news/world/india/profile-of-syedna-mufaddal-saifuddin-1.1279387, 'With prayers and quiet celebrations at home, the Dawoodi Bohra community had welcomed their community leader’s choice of Mufaddal Saifuddin as his successor'
- "Dawoodi Bohras welcome nomination of successor". Hindustan Times. Mumbai: HT Media. 7 June 2011.
- "Talk of rift among Bohras over Syedna’s successor". Hindustan Times. 15 April 2013.
- "Bohras protest Syedna's half-brother 's claim". Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-claimant-to-syedna-seat-declares-official-challenge-1968682, 'Mufaddal Saifuddin as designate-successor'.'Mufaddal took charge officially last month'
- "Talk of rift among Bohras over Syedna’s successor". Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-claimant-to-syedna-seat-declares-official-challenge-1968682, 'but this has been challenged by Khuzaima'
- Sequeira, Rosy (29 April 2014). "Spell out steps you took to be spiritual head since 2011, Bombay HC tells Syedna's uncle". The Times of India. Mumbai: The Times Group.,| quate= 'now the case is different. That pronouncement was made in 1969, 1994 and 2005 and only reconfirmation was done in 2011'
- http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-bohras-make-anti-syedna-faction-s-ex-communication-official-stick-by-mufaddal-saifuddin-1958375, Qaidjoher, first son of late Syedna : “Nass was performed on Mufaddal not once but a number of times.” Mustafa Kachwala, joint secretary of Anjuman : “Each time Nass was performed in the presence of witnesses...”
- al-Yamani, Ibrahim (1969). "Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (ra) Nass diary entry 1388AH by Miyasaheb Shaikh Ibrahim al-Yamani; a rendering in English". mumineen.org.
- "How is Syedna chosen? HC wants to know". The Indian Express. April 30, 2014.
- "Bohras make anti-Syedna faction’s ex-communication official, stick by Mufaddal Saifuddin". Daily News and Analysis. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.