|Elevation||767 m (2,516 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Gubbi is a panchayat town in Tumkur district in the Indian state of Karnataka. It is located on NH 206, about 90 km from Bangalore city [Bengaluru]. It is located 75 km from Muddenahalli, Kanivenarayanapura, and Chikballapur. It is situated at a distance of about 20 km west of Tumkur and about 90 km away from Bangalore.
Gubbi (P. 8,543) is an important trading centre, situated 13 miles west of the Tumkur town, on the Bangalore-Poona railway line and the Bangalore-Shimoga road. It is the headquarters of the Gubbi taluk and has a municipality. It is said to have been founded over 400 years ago by the Gowda of Hosahallli, two miles distant, and was formerly called ‘Amaragondapura’. He claimed to be a descendant of Honnappa Gowda, a hereditary chief of the Nonabas, who lived about 700 years ago and owned an area yielding revenue of 3,000 pagodas. The family was firsh made a tributary by the Mysore Rajas, to whom it paid 500 pagoda a year. Haidar increased the tribute to 2,500 leaving them little better than renters and Tipu dispossessed them altogether.
At gubbi is held one of the chief annual fairs in the district frequented by merchants from distant places. The neighbouthood produces coarse cotton cloths, blankets, arecanut of the kind called wolagra, coconut, jaggery, tamarind, capsicum, wheat, rice and ragi and lac. It is an intermediate mart for goods passing through the peninsula in almost every direction. The place is also noted for its cart-making cottage industry.
Gubbi is, according to tradition, Amaragonda Kshetra, a holy place. Gosala Channabasaveshvara, Amaragonda Mallikarjuna, Mallanarya and other Veerashaiva teachers lived at this place. it is stated that two gubbachchis or sparrows, which used to ‘listen’ to poet Mallanarya when he was expounding the Puranas in the Mallikarjuna temple, fell dead on the day that the exposition was concluded. Thenceforward, the place acquired the name of gubbi (Chatakapuri in Sanskrit). The temple has still the Samadhi of these birds.
The oldest temple in the town is the gadde Malleshvara, so called because it was once situated in a gadde or wet field outside the village. Owing to the subsequent extension of the village, the temple now stands within the town itself. It has three cells in the navaranga enshrining Dakshinamurti, Parvati and Veerabhadra. There are also two niches containing Ganapati and Subrahmanya. Leanin gagainst the south wall near the Dakshinamurti cell, are some curious figures, namely, a rude male figure armed with a bow and an arrow, said to represent a Shaiva devotee named Ohila, also called Vailappa, who used to offer everyday his own weight of guggala or bdellium to Shiva; a well-carved seated female figure. About one foot high, with some indistinct things in the two hands; and two male figures, about one foot high, standing side by side with what looks like a vessel between the hands placed one over the other, two sticks or spears standing between them. Gubbi was a place of great literaty activity in the 15th and 16th centuries. Several Kannada works bearing on the Veerashaiva religion and philosophy were written during this period. Mallanna, the author of the Ganabhashya Ratnamale and othe works, who flourished at the close of the 15th century, was a native of gubbi and a lineal descendant of Amaragonda Mallikarjuna. His grandson, Gubbi Mallanarya, wrote Bhavachintaratna and Veerashivamrutapurana in verse in 1513 and 1530 respectively. Prabhuga, a disciple of Mallanarya, wrote in about 1520 Chudanasthana and the Vaibhagrajasthana; and Cherma, another disciple of his, composed Cheramanka-Charite in 1526. Mallanarya’s son Shantesha wrote the Tontada Siddheshvara Purana in 1561.
The Vailappa (or Ohilappa) temple has a standing figure, about two feet high, of the Shaiva devotee, Ohila, holding a censer in the right hand and a bell in the left. The Gubbiyappa or Gubbi Chennabasaveshvara temple is a large structure containing the gaddige or tomb of Gubbiyappa or Chennabasavayya, a Veerashaiva teacher, who lived during the rule of Mummadi Honnappa Gowda, the Palayagar of Hosahalli. A beautiful ornamental gopura has been constructed to this temple recently at a considerable cost. An annual festival is held here on a large scale in honour of Gubbiyappa. The Janardhana temple has a four-armed figure, about four feet high, of the god, bearing in the upper hands a discus and a conch and the lower left a mace, the lower right, which is in the abhaya attitude, holding a tiny lotus. There is also another old temple dedicated to Byatarayswamy. At a distance of about a mile from Gubbi, there is a temple of Baila-Anjaneya Swamy in an open space. Near the Gubbi Railway Station, there is a famous religious establishment called Chidambara Ashrama, which has a shrine of Dattatraya and a gurukula run on modern lines. One more old temple is in G. Harivesandra just 5 km from gubbi where you can see Linga roopi Sri Narasimha swamy (very rare to see) now it is renovated by all community in this village majorly Thogataveera kshatriya's.
Gubbi is located at  It has an average elevation of 767 metres (2516 feet)..
By Bus: GUBBI is situated 90 km from Bangalore, 20 km from Tumkur, well connected by roads; KSRTC Buses (NH-206) and Private Buses . Mahalakshmi temple In Gubbi can be visited throughout the year.
Rail: Gubbi city is connected by railways, trains run from Banglore &Tumkur from time to time
Nearest Airport: Bangalore
Other notable places
Other notable places in the taluk are as follows:
Gubbi Mahalakshmi Temple : This unique temple attracts many pilgrims throughout the year. Tuesdays and Fridays are considered auspicious for pooja of Goddess Mahalakshmi; hence poojas on this day are elaborate and beautiful to witness. Pilgrims come from all over to get a glimpse of Goddess Mahalakshmi especially on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Location of mahalakshmi temple : Mahalakshmi Nagara, Gubbi
Channabasaveshwara swamy temple : The most attractive temple, having lot of devotees from all over the World
Kadaba: located on the right bank of River Shimsha, about 11 km south-west of Gubbi is the headquarters of the hobli of the same name. Till 1896, it was the headquarters of Gubbi taluk. It is said that sage Kadamba performed penance here on the banks of Shimsha and honoured Rama on his way back from Lanka. According to another legend, Rama who had encamped here on his return from Lanka, erected a dam across the Shimsha River into a present big tank at the request of his wife Sita. The place was one of the panchagramas (five settlements) of the Hebbar Shrivaishnavas and was a flourishing agrahara of Hoysala times. The Rama temple here is of the Dravidian style with a gopura and a fine Garuda pillar in front. The Kailaseshvara temple seems to be an older one. On the eastern outlet of the tank, there is the Hanuman temple.
Hagalawadi: is at a distance of about 40 km from Gubbi and was the headquarters of a palegars line. The chief produce of the neighborhood is areca nut and kambalis (blankets) are also manufactured. The chiefs of this place ruled for about 300 years, from 1478 to 1776 A.D. The founder of this dynasty Erimada Nayaka was succeeded by Sali Nayaka (16th century) who largely expanded the territory. The town of Chikkanayakanahalli was founded and named after his brother.
Nittur: called the Southern Ayyavale (Aihole) the ‘navel’ of Gangavadi-96000 and the “crest jewel” of the Heruthenadu in an inscription dated 1226 A.D. is about 12 km away from Gubbi town. The Shantishvara Basadi here is a Hoysala structure attributed to the 12th century and it has a garbhagriha, a shukanasi, a navaranga and a mukhamantapa. A small shrine OF Padmavati was built later.
(Source: Karnataka State Gazetteer 1983)
A beautiful turquoise Church standing on NH206 Bangalore-Honavar Road, Gubbi, Karnataka was built in 1904 in the memory of Rev. William Arthur, an Irish Missionary who worked in Gubbi in the 19th Century
As of 2001[update] India census, Gubbi had a population of 16,802. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Gubbi has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 80%, and female literacy is 71%. In Gubbi, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gubbi.|
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Gubbi
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.